Sunday, November 4, 2007

NOVEMBER MEETING

The November meeting will be held at 7pm on Tuesday, November 27 at Debby's house at 1506 Greenmount Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15216 (next door to Patti's apartment). Sally will facilitate the discussion for this month's book Love in the Time of Cholera, a love story that spans decades and explores the idiosyncracies of human thoughts and behavior. I am almost done with the book and I can't wait to have a lively discussion about this one. And I hope that some of us can make it to our "movie date" on November 20 to see the film version of the book. Remember to BYOB.

ALSO, as discussed at our last meeting, be prepared to nominate new books at our November meeting. Per our discussion at the October meeting, we will select three new books to read for the February, March, and April meetings. We will use the flip chart again to record nominations and will then vote with our stickers so please follow the guidelines that we discussed:
  • There is no obligation to nominate a book unless you want to.
  • If you decide to nominate a book, know the book title, the author, and enough about the book so that other people can make an informed voting decision.
  • The three people who have already nominated books that were selected (Kathy, Patti, and Honey) cannot nominate a book for this selection cycle.

Hope that everyone can make it - I am really looking forward to our meeting!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I started reading Love in the Time of Cholera and I am having a hard time getting into it. Is anyone one else having this problem?

Kathy said...

Hi Jackie, You're not the only person who has said they are having trouble with this book! It's a big book, full of lots of characters from another time period set in another part of the world. On Oprah's Book Club site readers have posted the same question and their solutions at http://www.oprah.com/community/message/25036 . The recommendations include keeping a pocket dictionary nearby and maybe a "cheat sheet" with the main characters names and info (Oprah has flash cards).
One of the bloggers said "Just relax and read a little bit at a time. The first few pages are like learning a new dance step...once you understand the rhythm you will wonder why you danced any other dance" I loved that!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jackie,

I'm with you. I've all but given up with this book selection. I think I might do better reading the last chapter first. Or maybe the movie will get me interested. I seem to have to go back several pages each time I pick the book up. I'm not giving up.

Anonymous said...

Hi girls. I was having the same problem at the beginning of the book but once I hit the fourth chapter the story started to pick up. It took me a long time to read it but now I'm glad I did. I'm excited to see the movie!!

Anonymous said...

I agree that it was very hard to get into initially but it got better and was quite a good story for most of the read - humourous and beautifully written. After finishing the book, I guess I wouldn't really call it a love story. There really wasn't much "love" in it - only a number of pretty unlikeable characters who behaved strangely in my opinion. Can't wait to talk about this one!